Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 7 Sabi Sabi Day 3

Thursday May 30, 2013

What a wonderful two days we have had in the African bush.   Allen was enjoying his photography classes with our photo guide Andrew and the two were ready for more shooting (photos that is).




Being the bird lover that I am, I insisted that he take photos of some of the birds I would only get a chance to see in Africa.





Lilac-Breasted Roller



Striped KingFisher

Cape Glossy Starling


Red Billed Hornbill

Grey Lourie

Grey Heron

Helmeted Guineafowl

After morning safari I went for a walk through the bush.  This would give me a chance to look at the smaller curiosities of  the bush.

Caterpillars

Spider
Animal Dung

During the walk the guide would carry a gun for protection and we were told that at all times we had to walk next to the guide. We were never to walk ahead of the guide or lag behind by much.    On one of the walks it was just me and the guide and I was trying to get my exercise by power walking.  I would glance at the ground as I marched ahead.  During one glance as I looked down I was shocked to see a baby cobra spitting up at me.  It looked just like this.  Needless to say I slowed down quite a a bit after that.


Cobra







After lunch we were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to see a sight not normally seen in the bush.  A female leopard had killed a python and was dining on her efforts.






At one point she decided the meal was safer up in a tree.



Another exciting day was coming to an end


 and we were able to get a glimpse of some of the shyer animals who only come out at night.

Scrub Hare

Night Jar






Civet



Chameleon

The night sky in the Southern Hemisphere was a treat that was enhanced by the fact that we were far from any cities that would cause light pollution. I could have spent all evening quietly sitting in that jeep, sundowner in hand, looking up at the twinkling stars, listening to the sounds of the bush. Our guide pointed out the Southern Cross, a constellation visible only in the Southern Hemisphere. The Milky Way appeared, more magnificent than ever.



No comments:

Post a Comment