Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 8 Bye Sabi Sabi - Hello Victoria Falls

Friday May 31, 2013

We took our last safari in the morning and bid goodbye to our wonderfully knowledgeable guides Martin and Josh.  Thanks for the great time.  What a wonderful job you both have.  Enjoy the bush.  I will be following your adventures on facebook.


Thanks so much for bringing us so close to the animals and giving us a glimpse into nature at its best and at its worst.

Lion on so close

Leopard oh so close

Baboons

Next stop on our travels was to Livingstone, Zambia to view Victoria Falls from the Zambia side. We chose Livingstone airport because it was a bit cheaper than the Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe side. We had a two hour drive from SabiSabi to the airport and then a one hour flight to Livingstone, Zambia.  The ride gave us a nice chance to see the African countryside.  I was surprised by all of the agriculture; bananas, avocados, and even timber. When we told the driver we had pine trees back in the states, he asked us what did we use them for. The idea of trees just for scenery did not make sense to him. He said that the pine trees were planted a while ago but were not a good crop because it took too long to harvest. Interesting conversation.


They say that during May when the fall flow is at a high the best way to see the entire Victoria Falls is thru a Batoka Sky Microflight.  I was nervous, anxious but determined to see the falls this way.  All of my life I have wanted to see Victoria Falls which happens to be one of the seven natural wonders of the world.  I am so glad I did. Although it was a bit scary at first, the pilot who could talk to me through the helmets was very calming. The falls was gorgeous with many rainbows. I could also see elephants, crocs, and hippos as well as boats and bird from my view. This was a view I would recommend to everyone.


Me taking off in my microflight!

Over the Falls


Rainbows

Check out the elephant on the bottom right



We ended the day getting up close to the falls and enjoying the sunset.  Another great vacation day spent on the continent of Africa.










No comments:

Post a Comment